Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Blue Pencil

I'd always had trouble balancing pre-drawing with actual drawing, and worse, had trouble erasing pencil marks, which made my cartoons drubby looking. I had adopted free hand cartooning, because it's cleaner, though there is really no room for mistakes when drawing in ink. But finally, after poring over different books and constantly looking online for tips about my art, I discovered the value of the blue pencil. The blue pencil does not show up easily on copy machines, so, it can be used as a base for your cartoons. Better yet, you don't have to erase it (with some exceptions), because it's almost invisible, so, you can sketch and then just resketch without erasing it, then ink it in with a much darker line that can be done effectively "free hand" unlike the problem with regular pencil, where you have to exactly follow every line or it looks like junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment