Thursday, December 31, 2009

Good (unique) blowoffs.

Well, the first one is pretty standard, but I hadn't heard it in a long while:

"No one here would be interested." Now, the presumptiousness of the statement is pretty self-evident: she's talking not just for herself, but "(every)one." She probably knows them all pretty well, so, it's pretty certain it's true, however, maybe not...Why not just say "I'm not interested," rather then chiming in with the opinions of folks not present?

The next was the classic "graphic illustrator" thing I've spoken of before. The man looked at me and said, "No," then he continued, "I guess (my italics) I'm a cartoonist too."
"Oh really?" I said, a bit skeptically, since he didn't even look at my stuff.
"Yeah," he said, " I worked for Disney/Pixar."

Yeah, right buddy. You're a cartoonist. NOT. What that dude was was a derivative illustrator, nakedly enhancing someone else's work. I seriously doubt that he even came up with a single original character, joke or gag. More then likely, his technical ability landed him the job, his actual lack of creativity probably served him doing it!

The word "guess" sums it up. Here's a guy that got paid to do illustrator work, yet, he still is "guessing" about whether or not he's an actual cartoon artist. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, if you have to guess, you aren't one.

1 comment: